Students have the opportunity to complete a week’s work experience, develop important key skills and to explore career ideas and opportunities. Whilst support and guidance is given, students are be expected to arrange their own work placements.
Students must consider the following points if completing work experience during the KS4 residential week:
- Before you make arrangements you should think about what you would like to get out of the placement and what your career plans are.
- Your placement should be in Devon, or neighbouring county. The employer is required to have public and employer liability insurance and a Care Check carried out on our behalf by the Education Business Partnership.
- Many other schools do work experience at the end of the summer term and therefore arrangements need to be made as early as possible, to avoid disappointment.
- Written confirmation of the placement from the employer must be provided to the school.
- Ideally, work experience should not be with a close relative nor are students permitted to arrange a placement where they already work part-time.
- During the week you will receive a visit from the school and you will complete a logbook of your experiences.
- Make work experience a positive choice – choose it because you think it will help you to develop your skills and character.