Students choose from an assignment bank in three topics for coursework:
1. Introduction to the media
2. Cross media study
3. Practical Production and Evaluation
Analytical responses might involve
- Media terminology
- Denotation and connotation
- How is genre established
- Making judgements about who the target audience might be
- Codes and conventions
- How the product appeals to its audience
- What images of people, groups and places are
- How have products been financed
Practical Production and Evaluation
Students are required to undertake a practical production which addresses four key concepts, (genre, audience, representation and institution) from conception to realisation. This may be a new film trailer, magazine, talk-based radio or music video etc.
The final examination has a specialised topic which is studied in year 11.
If you are looking for fun, working with others and possibly making a movie, then media studies is for you!